Monday, August 24, 2009

Watch the Sunrise, Say your goodbyes, Off we go

So this is it!

In less than 24 hours I am leaving for Cape Town, located in the south-west region of South Africa, for my Fall semester- a.k.a 3 and a half months (or, as my mom likes to tell people, 5 months).



The program is set up as follows: I will be living with 13 other UNC students in a guesthouse of sorts. 4 days a week is an internship for the majority of the day- everyone has been placed in different organizations depending on their interests/majors, and mine has been set for the Red Cross Hospital. Every Friday we have 2 classes- one is the 21st century Scramble for Africa and the other is Contemporary Southern Africa.

Considering the fact that I am leaving tomorrow, there is a relatively (key word) low level of stress in the Mathur household. A few small things have gone wrong, of course. My laptop completely crashed, my camera charger is currently in NYC- this problem is yet to be solved- and conveniently the U.S is practically the only place in the world that uses 110 V and thus my hair straightener is useless in South Africa. This last one may seem trivial in comparison but why lie, I'll be lookin' a hot mess without it.

Despite all of this I am still very excited about what is to come. I have been trying to prepare during summer vacation for my imminent departure but there is only so much you can read and do. Eventually you will find yourself on a plane flying over the Atlantic Ocean with no way to go but forward, ready to take on whatever comes your way.

16 comments:

  1. the best thing to do in that situation is to shave your head. have a safe flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaaahh. This is the best blog post I have read from a travel blog. I can't wait for more! And you know, I know, how important that hair straightener is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you!!! And girl, you'll be fine without a hair straightener. But if you need to, maybe buy a cheap one there? I too understand this dilemma.

    btw when I saw that your sister posted, I thought it was me for a second and I was like when did I already post?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will have to invest in one while I'm there otherwise...well, a certain bumpstick comes to mind.

    Also, megha karmalkar you need to start signing as meghak, haha. This could get confusing real fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anuja your program is actually three months & three weeks.........
    Love,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea Uruguay was in Africa. Dang.

    in honor of your trip, I sing you the ballad of Africa....by Toto.

    It's going to take a lot to drag me away from you
    There's nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do
    I bless the RAIIIIIIINS DOWN IN AFRIIIIIIICAAAAAAAAA
    It's gonna take a while to do things we never haaaaaaaaaave

    HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm sure they have cheap hair straighteners! just look like a native so you don't get too ripped off. HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  8. anuja, you can use power converters. available in airports, for your other electronic appliances.
    good luck girl! have fun and we'll keep up through your blog!
    :) prer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey anuja...how is it going? how was your flight into South Africa? Any interesting people on the flight?
    Shilpi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Juju Beans!

    Congratulations on your big trip!! Sure it's going to be an awesome experience for you :) Make us proud!! Sounds like a great program!

    If you need anything, email us :) Maybe we'll even send you some butter chicken and rice! Keep updating your blog, can't wait to read all about your travels! and post pics too!!

    Love, Cheena Jiji and Ankit (JijaJi) to!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. NUUUJA! I'll miss you but I can't wait to read more and see you again in the spring! Have a great time and forget hair straighteners- you'll be in AFRICA [though that power converter idea is good too...]!! Good luck and have fun!

    love, Jani

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAVE SO MUCH FUNN!!! i will miss you here for my first semester!! keep posting so i feel like im in cape town with you!

    rashi

    ReplyDelete
  13. girl i hope you're soaking in everything that afreeka has to offer right now! see you in "5 months" hahah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anuja,
    Great post..........nice pix.your hostel is so pretty!! Waiting to hear more..
    Chachi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pictures and the comments...keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete