No, I had no revelation or an epiphany about my life. Once I finally made it to the top I had to awkwardly sit next to 2 guys to get a sliver of shade and just relax, cooling down after sweating up a storm (tmi? Sorry.) An elder man actually asked me if I was from Durban (a city on the East Coast), which I know is based on the fact that a trillion Indians live there but I would like to think that I can fit in as a local Cape Townian…wearing a UNC t-shirt. After awhile I was able to think about things other than how hot it is outside, and moved directly into the sun in order to look over the edge, where the City Bowl is laid out before you. This may have contributed to my ridiculous chacos tan. I journaled a little. A quick excerpt:
“I still don’t understand study abroad. Maybe I have learned something that will eventually shape me. I sure hope so, but I don’t know what it is yet.”
So if you are wondering whether I have come back a changed person, there is your answer. I have, of course, learned a lot of small things that when put together turn into something substantial. And while I am aware that I may not be returning to South Africa for quite some time, I take heart in one of the 2010 World Cup posters in the Cape Town airport (yup, I am now finding inspiration in advertisements); Look to the mountain to find your way back.
But hey, if I wasn’t ready to come home when leaving the Cape Town airport, then there is nothing like a 7 hour delay at the Washington Dulles airport to have you restless to be back.
A few of the best moments of CapeTown09:
Bungee Jumping
Cape Point- surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, on the most beautiful day
Night at Gandalf's- a.k.a hot topic converted into a bar/dance floor
Hanging out with kids at the Red Cross Hospital-always an experience.

Any moment on the Hillcrest Porch
The clouds/sky in Southern Africa

Dance Parties/Room 2 (photo cred: Diana)

Girls Night at 91

Jumping in to the pool for the first time...in the rain. The pool was warmer than outside.

The day spent in the Khayelitsha Township
Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens on Diwali- it doesn't get much more relaxed then this (photo cred: Diana)

Watching a baby being born
Moonlight Hike up Lions Head
Final Banquet Dinner with Prof Rode- he has the most fascinating stories (photo cred: Diana)

Sharkcage Diving, even though I was delirious (photo cred: Josiah)

Getting to the top of Table Mountain with the stunning views (photo cred: Diana)

Walking a few blocks in the middle of Cape Town with Archbishop Desmond Tutu (photo cred: Diana)

The entirety of the Victoria Falls Trip
Classy. Well done.
ReplyDeleteagreed. and i think we rarely realize how much we change while its happening or how much influence a place/experience is having on us, i bet it'll hit you later.
ReplyDeleteIt's so flattering that you re-post my pictures, but I LOOOVE yours, too! Theriously I can't believe what a crazy semester it was. TO THE MOUNTAIN ONCE MORE!
ReplyDelete