Thursday, October 8, 2009

Observations

Some observations from my time in Cape Town:

Also, sorry for the lack of pictures, I will try to add some later

1.There are a ridiculous number of KFC’s in Cape Town. I don’t know what it is about the food but people here love it.

2.Howzzit = what’s going on?
Just now = I’ll do it eventually (similar to “yes yes” in India)

3.UCT reminds me a lot of UNC- there is this area where everyone sits on a nice day, very reminiscent of the pit. UCT, however, is actually on a hill. There are so many damn stairs.

4.You can buy samosas everywhere. They are my favorite snack so it has taken quite a bit of self-control to not spend all my money on them.

5.Tamboerskloof is a very pretty, somewhat ritzy neighborhood, but the beauty is lost behind walls and barbed wire. Every house here has walls (usually quite high) and concertina barbed wire to protect themselves from…whatever is out there. Also, the concept of having space between your house and the next is non-existent.

6.The 2010 Soccer World Cup is going to make Cape Town downright crazy to be in.

7.There is a cafĂ© down the street literally one minute away that at least one of us is at daily. They recognize us now (we are pretty hard to miss as Americans). Their food is quite delicious and pretty reasonable. This is good because we can go there all the time to just pick things up or grab a bite when we have had a hard day (especially chocolate…don’t even get me started on their chocolate ganache). The bad thing is…. we can go there all the time to just pick things up or grab a bite when we have had a hard day (especially chocolate…don’t even get me started on their chocolate ganache)

8.I’m not gonna lie, Table Mountain isn’t exactly the prettiest thing I’ve ever seen. But, you get used to its odd appearance and start to appreciate it for what it is: An easily accessible mountain with grazing zebras, beautiful fynbos, a stellar view of this entire area, and when it comes down to it, a whole lot prettier than more city.

9.Fynbos is my new favorite word (not that I had one before)

10.You have to be wary of people around you and your surroundings in general all the time. It doesn’t matter if it is 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon in broad daylight (2 people on our trip got mugged, 2 accosted in a pretty touristy/well-traveled area). This can be very tiring and frustrating, but now that I am taking the Jammie Shuttle through UCT to and from the hospital I pass a lot less sketchiness and it isn’t nearly as bad for me. We have taken to carrying around what we call “urchin change”- essentially the smallest coins (5c,10c,20c) that won’t do much for you but is enough to convince a kid high on glue (or something else) to leave you alone.

1 comment:

  1. If only they had bojangles...
    But if I remember correctly, I know someone who used to be a pretty big fan of the KFC snackers.
    And that chocolate ganache sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete